Sunday 21 April 2013


The 15th of April was circled on my calendar for all the wrong reasons. Back to work after the long lie ins and freedom to do whatever I want of the Easter Holidays. Without starting a debate about teachers holidays they are well needed, and for some reason I never get done what I need to, I tend to fall into an abyss of staring into space and recharging my batteries. I always have so much baking I want to do but never quiet get round to it. For some reason when I am back at work, frazzled after a day teaching a lovely (but demanding) group of young'uns with learning disabilities I get the urge to bake with urgency again, I think it is simply how I relax and unwind. 

 



 photo paulhollywood_zps31966e74.jpeg 

So, without further a do here is my round up of "first week of term" baking. All from Paul Hollywoods "How to Bake" .. which I purchased DURING the holidays and just flicked through salivating sporadically while fixed to Bargain Hunt *Can't.move.until.after.Doctors*, oh, I did leave the house to buy a banneton but didn't use it until after the holidays :) 

I have made,White Sourdough (blob did good), Croissants, Pain Aux Raisins - which involved my first ever attempt at crem pat, it was ace, didn't lump up and made such a quantity there is half in the freezer and finally Milk Bread.  Obviously I can't give details of the recipes here - I will leave you to rush out and buy the book for that, I can assure you it is very good, the recipes and pictures are very clear. I come at this from the angle of a home baker that knows "quiet a bit already" , BUT friends who are new to baking also claim they have had great success.  Everything tasted great and was wolfed down by the gannets at home and work but out of everything I fell in love with the milk bread. Ohhh milk bread, my new obsession. Fluffy, creamy, soft, tasty ... ohhh milk bread, I salute you, especially with eggs, bacon and a good old pork and leek sausage. 

Cue the pictures ... and if you want the recipes, you can buy the book here (saves you Googleing it hey! :











 photo milkloaf_zpscacb19ac.jpeg
Milk Loaf - creamy, fluffy, DELICIOUS 
 photo painauxraisins_zps09061455.jpeg
Pain Aux Raisin, lasted 10 seconds when I took them to work for breakfast! 
 photo sourdoughandcroisaans_zpsaf019f25.jpeg
First ever white sourdough from my new culture and fresh croissants 

No comments:

Post a Comment